The AVRO Way – Personalized Learning Strategies
AVRO provides students with the support necessary to take ownership of their studies. A self-directed learning program called ‘iPlan’, which is supported by the Ontario Ministry of Education, allows students to achieve their academic objectives by:
Students are expected to make their life at AVRO fruitful and enjoyable. They are responsible for their own learning while the facilitators and guide and assist them. Here, each student is given individual attention. Our class sizes are small, typical student- teacher ratios are 5:1, 2:1 or 1:1 depending on the requirement. Students entering grade 10, 11 and 12 may need pre-requisites for following certain courses. Once at AVRO, they must continue to prove their ability and maintain a high level of performance.
We are open round the year. Students can earn credits through the following academic programs:
FULL TIME STUDIES
Students enrolled full-time are expected to complete eight credit-courses per school year (two credits per term). Successful completion of a credit requires 110 hours of planned learning. Students who demonstrate excellent progress and time-management may be able to take additional credit-courses during the year.
School Day (9:30 am – 4:00 pm)
• School starts at 9:30 am and ends at 4:00 pm. Students take two or three credits each semester.
• At AVRO, students are expected to use the time outside of teaching schedule for independent study, developing new interests, positive self development.
• Each student is allocated a time for life skills / living values education.
• Each student is encouraged to attend the Wednesday Circle at 1:00pm followed by a lunch the school offers. We use this time to have an open forum for students and staff to discuss relevant issues regarding the school and matters of interest.
• Various activities are held throughout the year such as outdoor trips, lunch outings, education and recreational outings, multicultural events and birthdays.
PART-TIME STUDIES, Evening Classes & Credit Upgrading
Students can enroll at AVRO Academy in part-time and evening classes while attending another high school full-time. Our part-time and evening courses run for 16 weeks and are available 6 days a week. These courses of study are intended for students who:
Students can enroll for summer program to complete a maximum of two credit courses. The criteria for successful completion of a course is the same as stipulated by Ontario curriculum requirement (110 hours of planned learning other than homework). They study one course in the morning session (10:00 am) and one in the afternoon session (12:30 pm).
TRAVEL FOR CREDIT PROGRAM
AVRO offers a unique Travel for Credit program where students travel abroad and earn credits for outdoor activities or other courses. This program provides a lovely opportunity for students to socialize, enhance their knowledge physically, mentally and spiritually. This is usually scheduled during the March Break.
AVRO offers two ‘Travel for Credit’ programs each year during which students can earn one of several appropriately selected elective credits. Past trips have included canoe trips in southern Ontario and outdoor expeditions in Costa Rica and Thailand.